New Board Members, President for CSSA in 2016
Monday, January 11, 2016
Posted by: CSSA, written by John Dunlap
Keller is New CSSA Board President and Five New Members Come On Board
January is typically a time of change, when employees are looking to come up with new ideas for a new year, companies are revitalized to find ways to grow and improve, and a sense of excitement is in the air. Such is certainly the case at the California Self Storage Association, as a new president of the CSSA Board is in place and five new members of the board are settling in.
Dean Keller, president of Bancap Self Storage Group, is the new CSSA Board President, succeeding Steve Mirabito. The five new CSSA Board members are: Drew Hoeven, Director of Operations, Westport Properties; Nick Walker, Vice President, CBRE Inc.; Greg Drennan, Acquisitions Advisor, LifeStorage LP; Pedro Florida, Executive Vice President, Self Storage Management Company; and Chris Miller, General Partner, Store Quest Investments.
“We are so excited about the makeup of our 2016 board,” said Executive Director Erin King. “I know Dean will be a great leader for the CSSA and our new board members are equally dedicated to finding new ways to grow the CSSA. Their interest in improving the self storage industry in California reflect our own. We also must say a special thanks to outgoing president Steve Mirabito for his outstanding work on the Board. He will be missed.”
Mirabito is departing the CSSA Board, along with Jason Lopez (Westport Properties),
Karen Kolbe-Lunsford (RE Management), Mark Yandow (Self Storage Management of California) and James Hanrahan (RHW Capital Management Group LLC).
For Keller, the challenge of building the CSSA and finding ways to help the self storage industry in California is one that he is ready to take on. And he also finds joy in giving back to an industry that he loves.
“Like each of the other members on this board, I have much to be thankful for as a result of my involvement in the self storage industry,” Keller said. “Serving on the Board of Directors truly does give one the opportunity to ‘give back’ and help others in an industry that has provided so much for me and my family over the past 28-plus years. It makes it even more enjoyable when I get to work with the inspired, committed and fun group of diverse individuals who currently lead the CSSA.”
Here is brief look at Keller and each of the five new CSSA Board of Directors members:
- Keller is top selling broker of self storage properties in California with nearly $1.3 billion in completed sales. He is a co-founder and past Chairman of the Storage Operators Network (SON) in both Northern and Southern California and was an original Founding Sponsor of the California Self Storage Association (CSSA). He has previously served on the Board of Directors for the Self Storage Association’s Western Region and currently serves on the Board of the CSSA and the Self Storage Association Foundation.
- Hoeven has been working in the real estate and self-storage sector for over 10 years. In that time he has held multiple positions encompassing all aspects of the company. He was recently promoted to President of Real Estate for both Westport Properties, Inc. and US Storage Centers, Inc. In his new role he oversees all real estate activities including, but not limited to ground-up development, entitlements, acquisitions and dispositions. Hoeven is a board member and actively involved with Kure It, a 501(c) (3) that his father founded to raise money for innovative cancer research.
- Walker is a Senior Vice President at CBRE, Inc. Among the variety of client types that Mr. Walker represents are individuals, and syndicators, as well as corporations, financial institutions, real estate investment trusts, and domestic and international investors. He has overseen and taken part in self-storage transactions totaling over $600 million dollars throughout his years in commercial real estate.
- Drennan is an acquisition advisor and board observer at LifeStorage, LP. He co-founded Crescendo Properties, Inc. in 2002, which contributed its self storage portfolio to LifeStorage, LP in 2012-13. Prior to co-founding Crescendo Properties, Inc., Mr. Drennan was the Executive VP of Acquisitions for a privately-held investment group specializing in manufactured home communities and RV parks nationwide.
- Florida, Executive Vice President of Self Storage Management, has been in the industry for 13 years. He currently oversees all aspects of Self Storage Management Company, focusing on operations, marketing, pricing and community outreach. Pedro spearheaded an effort to bring the community into the storage facilities by creating the first ever self storage Art Walk.
- Miller is the founder of iStorage and serves as the company’s Chairman and General Partner. Mr. Miller has been actively involved in commercial real estate since 1994 and began investing in commercial real estate in 1997. Since 2007, Mr. Miller has acquired over 70 self-storage facilities in twelve states under the iStorage brand.
“It is a new year and a new sense of excitement here at the CSSA,” concluded King. “We really look forward to working with our board members, old and new. They are all talented and devoted individuals.”